PAPAN 9

PAPAN 9
Original Artwork by Papa, Azhan and Nine (click image to link)
‘In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. By Time, indeed humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who believe and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of truth and in the mutual teaching of patience’ (Surah al-`Asr, 103:1-3)
"Professional Architect lives almost by faith. When called upon he can do the job without fear or favour. He possesses aspecialized skill and lives by a code of ethics cloaked in honour andintegrity. He is expected to speak his mind and give his views. Whenfaced with absolute wrong, he can resolutely disagree and walk away." quote from THE PROFESSIONAL MAN by Ar Dr Tan Loke Mun PRESIDENT PAM

Thursday 10 April 2008

A TRIP TO REMEMBER


There is one famous architect quote that was once passed on by my good lecturer, “the foot that walks, the head that turns, the eye that sees” - Le Corbusier.

Since then we were forced to go on field trip for each semester that varied from an urban visit to jungle tracking. These field trips were intended to expose us to the importance of visiting the real site and to sharpen our senses towards the actual environment.

Later in life when I finally graduated like others, and just like the rest of my fellow studio-mates, we still travel…to work. Travelling from day office to freelance office to client meetings and travelling home was already an exhausting experience. Until at one point when I begun to drain out of idea, a clear signal that it was time for long walks to refresh my mind.

After hearing alluring stories from several friends who lived in England, I was more convinced to travel abroad, and England was the foreign land I’d set my foot on. I couldn’t describe how much excitement ran through my body on my first international flight. Not to mention the day-to-day excitement for the first time walking down to buildings that we would usually see in architectural magazines. I was even more surprised and struck by amazement when I set my bare eyes on Eiffel tower. Praise is too good, my fishing for job went well, and I was offered a permanent post and finally got me settled in Bury, Lancashire.

It has been more than a year now that I seem to get stuck here in Bury since my last travel home to Malaysia and spent time with my entire family. The long walk to refresh my mind is due again. We are planning to go for a trip around “Malaya” this year but had to be extended at the last minute. This is to give way for a trip with my parents -in-laws to discover the south of England.

This trip is not just to visit places of interest but also visiting friends. It gives glimpse of people’s lives as a lesson in understanding ourselves, family and friends. It also evidently gave us a full vision of life. From a friend who is expecting her baby any time soon to another friend who’s juggling with her trotting son and another friend who has kids of the same age as my growing boys and finally to my father’s friend. That whole process gave us a bigger picture of what the future holds for us. It even makes us more grateful, and become a better person. It is a trip worth to remember.

Let’s read the full coverage of the trip reported by my beloved wife. Link: A TRIP TO REMEMBER


4 comments:

arkrab said...

askm! wah seronok dapat pusing-pusing england, pak lan! ini buat saya rindukan england. Warwick castle? saya ingat kami tak dapat cari STONEHENDGE tapi tersesat ke warwick castle.

baguslah adakan trip seumpama ini. ia baik untuk kemesran ahli keluarga. Tak ade masalah booking atau bed and breakfast atau hotel ke?

FADZLAN RIZAN JOHANI said...

Seronok pun seronok jugak tapi penat gaklah.. Patut kat Warwick castle tu kena gi satu hari punya trip.

Seronok anak2 tokwan diorg datang melayan. Alhamdulillah, kami tidor kat rumah kekawan ja.Jejalan sambil melawat kawan. Terima kasih bebanyak kat semua kekawan.

Mrs. Ishamizu said...

Salam Pak Lan! seronoknye tgk u all bwk mak ayah jln2 kt sana.nway, it was great writing too, love the English written, very well done!!

FADZLAN RIZAN JOHANI said...

bukannya selalu diaorg nak mai sini. Kami pun ambik peluang diorg mai sini baru nak gi jejalan..kami sendiri pun takder kete nak gi jejalan...sewa ja.
Ohh..my writing, still a long way to get it perfect. My wife helps a lot on that. But I believe my boys would be doing so much better than me soon.

Maklumlah diorg sekolah org putih..kita sekolah org melayu ja. Aku la kena mengajar bahasa Melayu nanti.