PAPAN 9

PAPAN 9
Original Artwork by Papa, Azhan and Nine (click image to link)
‘In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. By Time, indeed humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who believe and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of truth and in the mutual teaching of patience’ (Surah al-`Asr, 103:1-3)
"Professional Architect lives almost by faith. When called upon he can do the job without fear or favour. He possesses aspecialized skill and lives by a code of ethics cloaked in honour andintegrity. He is expected to speak his mind and give his views. Whenfaced with absolute wrong, he can resolutely disagree and walk away." quote from THE PROFESSIONAL MAN by Ar Dr Tan Loke Mun PRESIDENT PAM

Sunday 4 May 2008

THE RGP APPRAISAL



“Devoted to produce the best work”, that was a phrase that had been added to my recent appraisal by my director. Although it might be true, I would never write it to describe myself as I don’t intend to blow my own trumpet. This was my second appraisal with the company. This year I had written the pre-self appraisal question with more realistic approach in mind.

The appraisal is not only to assess my achievement and performance during the previous year but also to plan for a year ahead on my personal development.

One question that keeps on popping during the appraisal was about my progress towards obtaining part 3. I am getting used to hearing it by now. It still remains a dream awaiting to be realised. I do hope I would be able to reach that dream soon. I would consider this part 3 thingy as a holy title that needs to be carried with dignity and responsibility. Thus, it will need a lot of experience, work and patience.

Although I did not put my part 3 development in my current appraisal as a top priority like last year but I did put my step towards it clearly; putting one step at a time as my strategy towards achieving that popular title. I would not write down all the processes to gain part 3 because apparently I might not be able achieve it within a year period. What I did write was the first process that I need to master in my preparation to become the master builder. The first step is to design!

On the other hand, I leave a fair comment on my job; “Generally, I’m happy with my job because I’m able to fulfill the work expectations and deliver the task to my utmost best” The appraisal process is designed to benefit both myself and my career development. It is not a salary review even though most people believe your good performance should be materialised as an increment in salary, promotion or even bonus.

I later then had a conversation with the chairman while we were overseeing the traffic at our local carboot event. He said that most companies in UK are now having hard time due to the credit crunch crisis in US which eventually affected the UK economy. I also hear that a lot of jobs had been cut down in various industries. Therefore, I am not putting so much hope in any salary review but I really hope that my employment is secured and at least maintain the current salary. It has come to my surprise that despite of all the current hard time, the company is still giving me salary rise. I am so grateful and feel really relieved that I am seen as a contributing employee and a part of company’s assets rather than a liability.

I am so grateful and feel really relieved that I am seen as a contributing employee and a part of company’s assets rather than a liability

2 comments:

arkrab said...

good day fadzlan! ASKM

what a good attitude that you have. to be good architect you should have your own stand in dealing with life. "success" is what we are chasing for in life BUT how we define success will be determined by the how we expect the 'success' [your own interpretation of success] to be . GOOD day again mike. may Allah give us the success that we dream for.

FADZLAN RIZAN JOHANI said...

many thanks to you bro arkrab for your thought,

I'm not really a good person. Mistakes were made in my life. However, I'm trying to understand myself with the hope of becoming a better person, husband to my wife and father to my boyz.

Thanks for your "doa". Only Allah knows best and will bless us with the best "success" for each of us.

"Do something because of your passion, anything extra that comes with is a bonus"

Keep believing,
PAKLAN