PAPAN 9

PAPAN 9
Original Artwork by Papa, Azhan and Nine (click image to link)
‘In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. By Time, indeed humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who believe and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of truth and in the mutual teaching of patience’ (Surah al-`Asr, 103:1-3)
"Professional Architect lives almost by faith. When called upon he can do the job without fear or favour. He possesses aspecialized skill and lives by a code of ethics cloaked in honour andintegrity. He is expected to speak his mind and give his views. Whenfaced with absolute wrong, he can resolutely disagree and walk away." quote from THE PROFESSIONAL MAN by Ar Dr Tan Loke Mun PRESIDENT PAM

Tuesday 21 August 2007

UNDERFLOOR HEATING


This is another CPD seminar which RGP conducts every first Tuesday of the month for its employees. However, last month the seminar had to be cancelled because the presenter was not able to attend and the session couldn't be replaced as very short notice was given prior to his absence. Though the seminar was cancelled, our free dinner was ON as scheduled!

This month, the seminar covers on the floor heating, another technical knowledge adventure for me. I believe this technology applies only to the seasonal countries. I don't think it would be necessary for a country like Malaysia. Maybe in the next 100 years when the climate change becomes more unpredictable and Malaysia might even have snow someday!






Building technology is a wide aspect in UK. Because of their climate different it need a whole wide range of product to keep the building fits for its main purpose - comfort. No wonder they're good at it. Recent awareness on the unpredictable climate change has transformed the selection of products used to a more environmental friendly, sustainable and zero carbon products. I've learnt a few of these theories back in University but far from implementation and taking huge awareness than now. It reminds me of Keang Yeang, Jimmy Lim and of course our Traditional Malay Houses. I've stay in and studied the Malay house before and now I'm in the process of learning the good old British house. Hopefully, it will eventually provide me the best knowledge of both worlds. Insyaallah.

I believe the best part of the technical understanding would be simple explanation guided by an
axonometric/3d visual diagram showing the actual system. This proves one as a "great explainer" - one who can see the complexity but explain it with simplicity, an understanding from my reading of a book entitled "The World is Flat" by Thomas L.Friedman.




Suddenly my collegue said to me, "see there is Malaysia!" pointing me to one of the flowcrete branch around the world. I've heard this company before in Malaysia but I never had the opportunity to get to know the product. It seems funny that I only learn about the company 60,000km from my homeland! and from Mr. Matt Baldry, a specification manager from the Head Office!! This is what I call first-hand education.abstract from:
http://www.flowcrete.com/products/Under_floor_heating/

No comments: