PAPAN 9

PAPAN 9
Original Artwork by Papa, Azhan and Nine (click image to link)
‘In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. By Time, indeed humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who believe and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of truth and in the mutual teaching of patience’ (Surah al-`Asr, 103:1-3)
"Professional Architect lives almost by faith. When called upon he can do the job without fear or favour. He possesses aspecialized skill and lives by a code of ethics cloaked in honour andintegrity. He is expected to speak his mind and give his views. Whenfaced with absolute wrong, he can resolutely disagree and walk away." quote from THE PROFESSIONAL MAN by Ar Dr Tan Loke Mun PRESIDENT PAM

Tuesday 27 March 2007

PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE LOG SHEET



Long before I graduated, I’ve been working day and nite to make sure that there is enough bread and butter for the family. The long hard work had held me back from advancing my architectural career to the 3rd stage of architectural learning. For many years, I had to fully utillise my full potential in my expertise and passion...DESIGN.

I was browsing through LAM website today to get to know the practical experience log sheet sample as a reference for my blog and as a comparison with the RIBA part 3. Reading thru it made me realised that all these while, the work that I did was only focussing on the Design Stage. Never was I given the chance nor permitted to cross the border of design stage to experience on the contract and implementation phase. I guess may be I should put the blame on the architects in practice who did not prepare or provide me with the platform to widen my knowledge to the next stage; instead they took full advantage of my design talent for their own benefit. Why wouldn’t firms allow the young, fresh architects to experience the appropriate requirement that covers the full scope of basic architectural services? I guess I should also blame myself for not urging them to give that opportunity, I was very comfortable working in the small bit of architecture that I’m so passionate doing and very good at; designing. To make things worse, I didn’t even have time to even think about it.

Allhamdulillah, it’s never too late to get back on track. I know this may sound embarrassing for others (being in architectural field but did nothing more than just designing for the past four years) but it is more embarrassing to pretend like you know everything. Frankly, I think there is no need to rush to be a registered architect, because the most important part is not just to PASS the test, but TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLY COMPETENT.

No comments: