PAPAN 9

PAPAN 9
Original Artwork by Papa, Azhan and Nine (click image to link)
‘In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. By Time, indeed humanity is in a state of loss. Except those who believe and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of truth and in the mutual teaching of patience’ (Surah al-`Asr, 103:1-3)
"Professional Architect lives almost by faith. When called upon he can do the job without fear or favour. He possesses aspecialized skill and lives by a code of ethics cloaked in honour andintegrity. He is expected to speak his mind and give his views. Whenfaced with absolute wrong, he can resolutely disagree and walk away." quote from THE PROFESSIONAL MAN by Ar Dr Tan Loke Mun PRESIDENT PAM

Friday 1 June 2007

TAMAN TUN HINDU TEMPLE

Back in May 2001


New entrance
Old main entrance

View from main road

View from the park

Taman Tun Hindu Temple, ah! This was my very first freelance job. Back in 2001, not long after I finished my practical year at SNO (Saifuddin And Ong Architect). I didn’t know how I become a freelance job seeker. (Didn't even know there is such term as “freelancer”) I guess because at that time I was really in need of extra money to support my young married life. I could vividly recall receiving this work from my officemate's recommendation. Thanks so much for his help.

The existing site

The job was about making landscape proposal to the authority for land extension which eventually gain some sponsorship. Based on my little knowledge on landscape, I managed to make a simple proposal which has very close relation with the nature.


Before the work commenced, my client took me to visit the site. The Hindus were obviously stunt to see a Muslim visiting their worship place. People were staring at me. Even though we all learned about other religions in a few of our subjects eg Muslim and world civilisation and also in Architecture History, but we'd never gone to the actual place of worship.

Seriously, most of the time I just kept praying silently to protect myself from any bad things especially when I recall all the superstitious Malays' believe about Hindu’s worship.

"Nevertheless the experience taught me to better understand about other races in Malaysia and how very little that I know about them."

No comments: